Guitar Mad
October 18, 2017, 02:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No news at this time

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strat Help, slight return  (Read 296 times)
Scott
Pre-Modern
Global Moderator
Awesomeness PhD

Wow, I'm a SUPER de-duper HERO stud now!

« on: July 04, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »

I intended to add this info to Glenn's original Strat Help, but was reluctant to clutter up a good motorcycle thread with a bunch of guitar trivia. Undecided

Stewart-McDonald now has these pre-cut, precision angle shims for easy alteration of the neck-set angle while retaining a stable, rigid, full contac joint, an idea I think they stole Shocked Lips Sealed borrowed from Taylor:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar_Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar_Necks/StewMac_Bolt-on_Neck_Shims.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2016-07-gp&gclid=CKW7gNny2c0CFYwlgQodLeYFog

At one time, my innate professionalism precluded my accepting remuneration for rendering services in fields where I have no particular aptitude, but once I got a little hungry, I realized it was rather pretentious of me to hold myself to a higher standard than all the other professionals.
Chris
Administrator

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »

Yeah I wouldn't want to ban you for going off topic.  I like you, but I'll do it. 

So no more using tinfoil or paper for shims/

Gotta say I probably wouldn't use those myself, as I'll stick with tinfoil or just plain bad action....but clever and simple idea for sure.

I'm too simple to be clever.  Undecided
Dr. Glenn
Phallic Villain
Global Moderator
Awesomeness PhD

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »

I can barely remember putting that shim in now  I recall it was to force more string clearance over the frets so I could screw the saddles down lower to prevent the little pesky screws from digging into my hand  The shim must be at the front of the pocket. I honestly forget now. I do know that the problem could not be fixed by that neck adjusting screw thing. It was the opposite problem. I do remember using a business card.... or did I  Huh?
If I had one of these shims available I would use it but wouldn't hand over maybe $25 dollars for it.
Thanks for your outstanding and relentless researching in the pursuit for a suitable product Scott  We used to have an award around here someplace 

Scott
Pre-Modern
Global Moderator
Awesomeness PhD

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »

Having recently ordered some locking Grovers for Carla's Washburn from Stew-Mac, I get a lot of pop-up ads from them showing different items from their catalog. That one jumped out at me because it looked a lot like the shim in my Big Baby Taylor.  

Somehow, having to shim a neck outward seems to go against nature. Huh? I'm thinking it must be a manifestation of the Southern Hemisphere Effect, where everything is upside down and backwards...   either that or it could be the dreaded alder rot .  Shocked  You don't live near the ocean, do you?  Wink Cheesy

Yeah I wouldn't want to ban you for going off topic.  I like you, but I'll do it.  

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. I've reported myself to the mods before and waited eagerly for the report so i could jump on the opportunity to sternly admonish myself to straighten up and fly right, but was embarrassed to discover I'm either too incompetent and/or indifferent to have even reported myself correctly, or I'm too incompetent and/or indifferent to keep up with tha day to day responsibilities i've been entrusted with as a GLOBAL MODERATOR.

Having established my qualifications to succeed the Incumbent, it's obviously incumbent upon me to announce my candidacy for the office of resident                                                       President of the United States !!!

"You've got to be mighty careful to be careful enough about all the stuff you've got to be careful about..." - my party platform
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:51:18 PM by Scott » Logged

At one time, my innate professionalism precluded my accepting remuneration for rendering services in fields where I have no particular aptitude, but once I got a little hungry, I realized it was rather pretentious of me to hold myself to a higher standard than all the other professionals.
Chris
Administrator

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »

Dude you have my vote.  I may just write in Scott W.  At least I could walk away with my head up.   

I saw your moderator report- but it came to my work email which was bizzaro----must be a setting in there somewhere- this is what I got:

The following post, "Re: Strat Help, slight return" by Chris (admin) has been reported by Scott on a board you moderate:

http://guitarmad.com/forum/index.php?topic=444.msg3917#msg3917

The reporter has made the following comment:
THIS IS A TEST OF THE REPORT TO MODERATOR SYSTEM    STOP   IF THIS HAD BEEN AN ACTUAL REPORT FROM SOME WHINEY CRYBABY IT WOULD BE IN ALL CAPS AND LOOK LIKE THIS

Regards,
The Guitar Mad Team.

Scott
Pre-Modern
Global Moderator
Awesomeness PhD

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »

Way cool! Cool Cool It really does something!

Now i have to rethink my political career. Huh?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: